Sunday, May 6, 2012

Nutrician Labels Day 4



Reading the labels is important. I read them mostly for sugar content and ingredients. I want to keep my sugar intake low so I don't want foods with tons of sugar added. I also have food allergies so I make sure the things I'm allergic to are not in my food.

I'm also not fond of things I cannot identify. Erythorbates, no it's not earthworms. It's an antioxident added to some foods and derived from you guessed it sugar. Is it good for you, probably not. If it's in your food and you need a dictionary to figure out what it is, you probably shouldn't be eating it.

So, I have cut all bread, rice, and pasta from my diet. I've also cut sugar, syrup, and anything else that contains sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Yes, that means no pancakes or waffles. I will live.

I have also gotten rid of all my vegetable oils as they are bad for you too. I am buying olive oil, walnut oil and sesame oil for cooking and making salad dressing. I still use butter. I have farm fresh eggs right now thanks to my dad. I drink organic milk. For those of you who grew up in the 50's and 60's that is what we grew up on. It does not have added hormones. I have some organic yogurt, too.

Ideally I'd have a teaspoon of cinnamon a day. Today I had it in my tea. It was probably more than a teaspoon. But when I had a blood sugar reading of 79 tonight I can't say I was upset.

For those of you following me on this journey the normal blood sugar range is 70-100. I usually run between 100 and 140. That makes me a diabetic. It has been much higher than that at times. I have to be careful with some medications as they can drive my sugars up, sometimes to dangerous levels.

Today has been a successful day. Tues. I have bloodwork done. I will post results as we will want to do it again in 30 days and have a comparison. I will tell you at that time all the details that we record and how I am progressing.

I have found that I have trouble eating because I am not hungry. That's one of the things that happens when you have good healthy food. I am not in any way starving. I am eating the right foods.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

October Already

 I'm not sure where the time has flown. June was an exiting month. July was a mess. I had a change of medication which caused me to gain...