Saturday, May 12, 2012

Day 10-Healing Vegetables



Diabetes is a balancing act. You have balance the foods you eat with exercise. You have to watch your portion sizes.  I have trouble with this. I often forget to eat because I am not hungry. That probably means I'm spending too much time at my computer and not getting enough exercise.  This morning's blood sugar reading was 91. That's within the normal range. I need them all there.

There are vegetables that help you heal. Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, bok choy, and brussel sprouts help your heart. They also give you needed minerals. Romane lettuce is filled with minerals are are onions and tomatoes.

Here are 10 ways to enjoy vegetables.

Salads: mix your greens or even red lettuce, grate in some carrots, chopped cucumbers, bell peppers. Toss in a few nuts and seeds (lightly toasted pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, almonds, or walnuts) as well as 1/4 cup of crumbled feta, goat, or bleu cheese. Slice in a hard boiled egg. Whisk 1 T of extra-virgin olive oil with a few drops of balsamic vinegar or lemon juice. ( Add a little Dijon mustard if you're feeling wild) Avoid bottled dressings altogether-the included unhealthy polyunsaturated oils and artificial sweetening.

Microwave your veggies in a glass dish with a little water. Pour off the water and add butter or olive oil.

Steamed veggies with chicken or salmon.

Snack on raw veggies. Dip in hummus or plain yogurt.

Wrap turkey or chicken in leaf lettuce with cheese and tomato.

Saute' your veggies in olive oil or butter.

Cube a small potato with cauliflower and/or turnip and steam in the microwave or on the stove top. For more boldness add garlic or Japanese Wasabi ( the green horseradish served with sushi).

Make slaw, with different kinds of veggies. Whisk plain yogurt with herbs for dressing. Of combine extra-virgin olive oil with rice wine or cider vinegar and toss.

Finally experiment. Hit up the Internet for healthy vegetable combinations.

Most of all learn to enjoy the new foods. Make them the main part of your diet. You'll be on the road to healthy if you do.

TTFN

2 comments:

  1. I have diabetes and need to take it more seriously than I do. Sounds like you are doing an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I'm trying. I have issues with vegetables in that I am allergic to lettuce of all types, and cabbage. Which leaves me out of many things. I also dislike bell peppers and asparagus. I'm not much fun on a date. LOL. I have learned how to work around the allergies. I can eat broccoli and cauliflower. I'm going to try turnips and rutabaga, too. I think there are others I will try. For me it was a decision as to whether I wanted to see my grandchildren grow up or whether I was ready to die.

    ReplyDelete

October Already

 I'm not sure where the time has flown. June was an exiting month. July was a mess. I had a change of medication which caused me to gain...