Monday, August 15, 2011

How Did I End Up Here? Day 2

The Chief came back as I was finishing the second donut. He shook his head, “Beats me how you can eat that stuff and still be thin as a rail. I ran a check on this Jesse Barstow. Seems he has a yellow sheet longer than your arm. He’s quite the confidence man. I can’t believe you fell for him.”
“I’m not sure I did. I think he could’ve been the person who drugged me. I went to the Escape looking for Molly Marshfield. The key belongs to her. It was for her mother’s safe deposit box. I just can’t seem to remember the numbers and what they were about.”
“Barstow just approached you?”
“No, he’d called earlier in the day. He’d wanted me to find someone. Since I had to go see Molly, I told him to meet me at the Escape.”
“He identified himself by giving you his card? Had you already talked to Molly?”
“She was finishing up a set. I must not have talked to her, I still have the key.”
“Were you writing on the napkin?”
“I don’t remember. I don’t know how I got it or what it was about.” I shook my head hoping to bring the memory back.
“Well, you seem to be okay now. I didn’t want to send you home last night if you were facing some kind of danger. I’ve put out a BOLO (Be On the Look Out) for Barstow. I have some questions for him. Want a lift to your place?” the Chief asked.
“Thanks, Dad, but if it’s all the same to you, I’d like to go see Mom.”
“We should both do that, Kiddo. Give me a minute and we’ll be off.”
Yeah, my dad is the Chief of Police. We try to see Mom two or three times a week. She has Alzheimer’s and is confined to the local nursing home. Sometimes it is easier if we both go together. I was ready when Dad came back.
We drove to the home in silence. I knew he did not like my choice of career. He hadn’t liked it when I was on the police force either. He didn’t think it was a job for a girl….especially not his little girl.
‘Dad, the napkin, it’s an address,” I said out of the blue.
“An address to what?” he asked.
“An address to the home, one that includes Mom’s room number,” I urgently replied.
In an instant the lights and siren were on. We flew through town. I was out of the car and running before Dad came to a complete stop. Nurses and administrators were coming out the front door to see what the commotion was. I bowled past them headed for Mom’s room. She looked up as I entered.
“Samantha, dear, have you been running again? You know it’s not lady like,” she admonished like a thousand other times in my life.
“I know Mom.” I took a minute to take in her surroundings. Nothing seemed out of place.
Dad came in a moment later. He smiled at Mom and asked, “How are you, Helen?”
“I’m fine. What is all the commotion about?” she asked with a puzzled expression on her
face.
“Mom, have you had any visitors?” I was in full interrogation mode.
“Why yes, that new young man from the church came in. He left his card.” She handed me the card. Sure enough the name was Jesse Barstow. I handed it to Dad.
“We were just worried about you, Mom,” I told her my hand going to her snow white hair in a caress.
“I’m fine. These people take good care of me,” she said a serene smile on her face.
Dad stepped over to her. “Helen, we were just concerned. We have to leave now, but we’ll be back later.” He kissed her and walked out of the room.
“I’m so glad you and your dad are getting along again.”
“Bye, Mom, love you.” I kissed her cheek and followed Dad.
When we got into the car, he said, “Sam, will you stay with me until we find this guy?”
“Normally, I’d say no, but this guy found Mom.”
“Good girl, I think I know what the key is to. This is not Molly’s key,” he said seriously.
“How do you know that?” It was my turn to be puzzled.
“I got a call after you got out of the car. Molly got her key last night. She said you left with some guy.”
“This is the key to your mother’s safe deposit box. I had them check the bank and find out who the key belonged to. I want to go and see if he got into it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

October Already

 I'm not sure where the time has flown. June was an exiting month. July was a mess. I had a change of medication which caused me to gain...