Friday, December 9, 2011

Trying to Beat the Holiday Blues

I love Christmas. It is one of the most wonderful times of the year. Many years I have been blessed at Christmas. This year was one of them. In doing a good deed for a friend and her family, it came back to me tenfold. Something I had not expected.

I also hate the holiday season. It makes me blue. I used to blame it on moving to a new area when I started 7th grade. I figured out last year that this was not the case. It had to do with losing a loved one the day after Christmas when I was younger. I hoped that knowing the cause of my blues would help me to fight them. So far, it's not working.

I don't put a tree anymore. What's the point? No one comes here for Christmas. No one has for years. I go to my daughter's on Christmas Eve and we then all go to my sister's where the family gathers Christmas day. It's a wonderful time with family. But I am usually ready to turn in and be away from people by 5pm. No offense to my family. Christmas is the only time I see some of my nieces and nephews.

I thought about putting up a tree again. Then decided that was senseless. I am leaving right after Christmas for the winter. Why go to all that trouble to have to pack it up, while I am trying to pack for going away. Nope, just did not make sense to me.

I generally spend Christmas Eve by myself. My daughter and her family go spend Christmas Eve with friends. We used to do a Christmas Eve service but that has gone by the wayside. Some traditions last and some don't.

So before I become too maudlin, I'm going to sign off. Wishing everyone a very safe and Merry Christmas.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

October Already

 I'm not sure where the time has flown. June was an exiting month. July was a mess. I had a change of medication which caused me to gain...