Sunday, October 2, 2016

The Journey Day 3

The best laid plans sometimes go awry. Because no where in the plan was I supposed to be awake until 3am reading the latest John Gilstrap novel. His are pulse pounding, sit on the edge of your seat books and this one is no exception.

Today started with a blood sugar of 104, a bit higher but still within normal. I had brunch of 1/2 cup strawberries, 2 poached eggs and 1 slice of pumpernickel bread. 16.9 oz of water, and two cups of cinnamon tea.

It was more of a brunch, than breakfast. So my blood sugar before dinner was 150. I was not real please with it. Dinner consisted of  1/2 c cottage cheese mixed with spinach, 1 stalk of celery, a sprinkle of shredded cheese, and 2 T of Italian dressing, and  5 sesame Melba rounds. Another 2 cups of cinnamon tea completed the meal.

My current blood sugar is 161 which makes me sad. Giving me an average of 138 for the day. I will endeavor to do better tomorrow.  I will be making individual quiche.

Day three should have looked like this:
Breakfast: spinach with 2 poached eggs on an English muffin.*

Lunch: Baked Summer Vegetables with cheese**

Dinner: Spicy Oven Chicken***

*Spinach and Egg topped muffins(220 calorie per serving)
Ingredients:
2 medium eggs
1 English muffin cut in half
3.5 oz frozen spinach defrosted
2T low-fat sour cream (I use the real thing because I don't want the added sugars)
pinch of nutmeg
Salt & pepper to taste.

To prepare the spinach, in a small sauce pan, heat the spinach through keep tossing to keep it from scorching. When it's thoroughly heated add the sour cream and nutmeg and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste. (I would not eat this. I eat raw spinach, but hate it when it's cooked. The flavor changes to something I don't like).

Poach eggs for three minutes more if you prefer well done. Toast the two halves of the English muffin. Cover each muffin with 1/2 of the spinach mix and an egg. Serve hot.

**Baked Summer Veggie with Cheese (110 calories/serving)
Ingredients:
2 small eggplants, trimmed and cut into small pieces.
2 medium zucchini trimmed and sliced
1 sweet yellow squash cut into strips
4 small yellow onions peeled and quartered
4 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2tsp coriander
1 T olive oil
1 1/4 oz fresh goat cheese(I do not eat this so would have to find a different cheese)
Mixed salad greens (for me this would be spinach)

Preheat oven to 500. In a large bowl toss the vegetables with the spices plus salt and pepper to taste. Coat baking sheet with olive oil and arrange the veggies in a single layer. Drizzle 2-3 T of water over the pan, then roast the vegetables for 25-30 minutes until soft. Don't be alarmed if the edges are slightly charred-this is normal. Let cool slightly, then spoon over the salad greens and crumble cheese on top.

***Spicy Oven Chicken(180 calories/serving)
2 4oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 sprigs fresh basil chopped fine
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
8 oz vegetable stock (can use chicken stock or make from bullion)
salt and pepper as desired.

Pre heat oven to 400. With a sharp knife, lightly score each chicken breast in several places, making very shallow cuts the length of the breast. Do the same in the other direction so you have crosshatched the breast. In a bowl combine all the herbs and spices. Dip the chicken into the mixture then rub it in, coating them evenly with a thin layer of spices.
zes
Place the chicken in a small baking dish and poor the stock around it (but not on top). Bake until spices are browned and crispy and chicken when fork is inserted oozes clear juice--about 25 minutes. Serve hot with  a steaming bowl of broccoli.


As I live alone, most of these meals will last two days, so my days might repeat.
Enjoy
TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

October Already

 I'm not sure where the time has flown. June was an exiting month. July was a mess. I had a change of medication which caused me to gain...